Please Support Atlanta Public School’s Redistricting Proposal – Write a Letter by March 26th!
Thanks to the many Lake Claire Neighbors who supported our community in the redistricting process by responding to the survey, writing a letter and attending APS meetings. Our voice has been head, and the recently released preliminary Atlanta Public Schools (APS) redistricting proposal is favorable for our community. If you haven’t had a chance to view it, you can access it at http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/cms/lib/GA01000924/Centricity/Domain/45/FinalRecPub.pdf.
However, we are not across the finish line yet – there are neighborhoods that oppose the proposal, and we need to show APS strong support for it. Community feedback ends March 26th and we need your help.
We ask that you please write a letter to our APS Leaders, School Board Members and our Public Officials showing your support for the redistricting proposal. Some suggested points to include in your note are below, as well as the names and email addresses for you to send the note.
In addition, the final community feedback session will be held Wednesday, March 21st at 6:30 p.m. at Jackson High, located at 801 Glenwood Avenue Southeast, 30316. Please arrive early for parking and seating. We need to have strong turn out from our community to show APS that we think the proposal makes sense and that we support it.
Letter Key Points
Below are some suggested bullet points that you can include in your communication to APS Leaders, School Board Members and our Public Officials.
Please personalize the letter – include some information you and your family, and what you personally like about the proposal.
We ask that you be positive in the note and caution against saying anything negative about other neighborhoods.
Since the Superintendent’s plan was published March 4th, it was announced that the proposal to use the Coan location as the 6th grade academy for Inman Middle is off the table. We ask that you please do not reference Coan in your note since this is no longer an option.
- I believe that the Superintendent’s proposal is a balanced approach that is a fair and fiscally responsible way to solve the capacity challenges in the Grady cluster.
- I am glad that Mary Lin is remaining K-5, and appreciate the school receiving much needed SPLOST funding for renovations and an expansion. This gets our kids out of trailers, provides necessary capacity for our community’s growth and allows Lin to continue to build on its tradition of success.
- The defined cluster model is a sensible one. It strengthens both community support and parental involvement, and encourages long-term, cross-cluster collaboration that will help schools be successful and enable our children to excel.
- The 6th grade academy is a shared and logical solution to Inman Middle’s anticipated future capacity concerns. I am open to alternate locations for this academy, including an Inman expansion or annex, or another facility within the Grady cluster boundary.
- The Mary Lin Community has been an integral part of Inman Middle and Grady High for decades. We look forward to partnering with APS and our neighboring communities in continuing to build and maintain high-performing, diverse schools of which we can all be proud.
- In summary, I support the Superintendent’s proposal – it is a logical and responsible plan that makes sense for the entire Grady Cluster and APS.
- Thank you for all that you do for our schools.
Letter Recipients and Email addresses:
APS Redistricting Feedback: APSRedistricting@AtlantaPublicSchools.us
Erroll B. Davis, Jr., Superintendent of Schools: firstname.lastname@example.org
Steve Smith, Deputy Superintendent/ Chief of Staff: email@example.com
Larry Hoskins, Deputy Superintendent of Operations: firstname.lastname@example.org
Karen Waldon, Deputy Superintendent of Curriculum & Instruction: email@example.com
Dr. Betsy Bockman, SRT-3 Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
APS Leader Email Distribution List: email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com
Atlanta Board of Education (ABOE) Members:
Cecily Harsch-Kinnane (District 3): firstname.lastname@example.org
Reuben McDaniel, At-Large (3&4): email@example.com
Brenda Muhammad (represents Inman Park): firstname.lastname@example.org
Courtney English (at-large for Inman Park): email@example.com
Nancy Meister: firstname.lastname@example.org
Byron Amos: email@example.com
Emmett Johnson: firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOE Leader Email Distribution List: email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com
Councilwoman Natalyn Archibong (Our rep): firstname.lastname@example.org
Councilman Alex Wan (CP rep): email@example.com
Councilman Kwanza Hall (IP rep): KHall@AtlantaGa.Gov