Notes from the Lake Claire Neighbors Monthly Meeting: Oct 15, 2015
7:15 PM at the Frazer Center, Rose Room
1815 Ponce de Leon Ave NE • Atlanta, GA 30307
Thanks to Savage Pizza for the Pizza!
Addendees: 25 Members, 1 visitor
Officers present: Robin, Joe, Nancy, Kathie, Andrew, Christiane
Guest speakers (Representatives of the City Council, and Atlanta Police Department)
APD: Lt Floyd
LC and CP are doing better than average on crime. Still had some vehicle breakins and a few residential breakins. APD is beefing up police presence for the holidays. Crime (robberies) tend to trend up in Oct-Dec, for the holidays, so don’t be alarmed. Please be aware of your surroundings, particularly when walking after dark.
Valencia (Natalyn’s office)
Contact Valencia at NArchibong@atlantaga.gov for any city related issues.
LCN officer reports
Education: Annsley. Looking for volunteers to meet 2-4 times per year for the Lake Claire Education committee. Update on Inman Expansion (Expand Grady, make Howard new Middle School, Fields at old Walden location. Still several years out). Mary Lin is still under construction.
Fundraising: Dec 12 Holiday Tour of Homes. Need HOMES!! Houses that really decorate (either house or yard) for the holidays. contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Environment: Freedom Bridge Meeting upcoming 10/22 @ Manuel’s.
Trees Atlanta has a bunch more trees to give away, if you’re looking for some. contact email@example.com.
Safety: 2 stolen cars, 2 breakins of cars in Sept. See full security report on website.
NPU: (Joe for Carol) NPU meets 4th Thursday of the month at the L5P Community Center
LCN Treasurer Report 10/10/2015
Our bank accounts at BOND as at September 30, 2015 were:
Savings account $2155
Checking account $3703
Greenspace fund $3000
Mural fund $4286
Paid-up members 124
Announcements and current issues
· 2015 dues reminder – $20 per household
· Lake Claire Holiday Dinner – Thurs Dec 17 in the Frazer Center Atrium. Potluck, Lake Claire supplies the lasagna and wine.
· Lake Claire Halloween Parade – Sat Oct 24!! Come one, come all, but especially if you have small kids. Still need volunteers. http://lakeclaire.org/2015/10/06/lake-claire-halloween-parade-coming-1025/
Clifton Ministries (James Crutcher) – 4:00 Oct 25, graduation ceremony. All are welcome. Clifton still has needs of Clothing and Food, as usual. http://lakeclaire.org/2015/09/18/clifton-ministries-graduation-dinner-volunteer-ops/
· Nominations for the LCN executive committee election: Andrew is retiring as Treasurer. Jim Rockaway has been nominated to be Treasurer next year. Rest of slate is same as last year: Joe Agee, President; Kathie Ryan, Safety; Nancy Dorsner, Communication; Sara Rockaway, Fundraising; Christiane French, Environment; Robin, Zoning
· Update on Candler Park/Lake Claire Security Patrol. PAID MEMBER SIGNS AVAILABLE FOR PICK UP AT MEETING. Sam Collier, CPLC Patrol Board Member.
Good partnership going with CP on Security Patrol. Over 350 members so far, good LC participation. Members get the perk of vacation patrol. As membership goes, will add more officer shifts. $200/year per household (less for Seniors). For more info and to sign up, visit: http://www.cplcpatrol.com/
· Announcement of the opening meeting for the Candler Park Conservancy. Ben Klehr, CPC Board Member: Conservancy is a non-profit that came out of the CP Master Planning process. It is currently in visioning stage. Public Meeting 10/24 9-11 am at First Existential Church on Candler Park Dr. http://lakeclaire.org/2015/10/06/candler-park-conservancy-meeting-1024-900am/
· Coan SPLASH: new splash pad open in Kirkwood, Earl Williamson. Non-binding vote of approval requested. The motion to support the COAN SPLASH pad was approved unanimously.
· Variance V-15-279 on 2070 McLendon Ave., NE. Applicant seeks to reduce the required west side setback from 7 ft. to 1ft.4inches to place condensing unit of 30 inches above grade in the side yard in addition to existing unit. Approved 14-0
· Variance V-15-258 on 465 Harold Avenue NE. Applicant seeks to reduce the north side yard setback from 7 feet to 5.1 feet in order to allow for a 2 – Story addition to a single family dwelling. Approved 18-0
Other issues – those with concerns or information they wish to bring to the membership.
Lake Claire Neighbors meets the third Thursday of each month.
Our next meeting is Nov. 19, 2015 – same time, same place.